Saturday, March 27, 2021

Why Disney Channel Feels Dead At This Point?

Why Does Disney Channel Feels Dead At This Point? By Felix Saenz

 I wrote a journal about why Disney XD needs to die and I decided why not do the same for Disney Channel? The channel doesn’t seem to be as dead as Disney XD, but compared to Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network (when they eventually rebrand later this year), it’s looking to be one of the next kids channels to shut down, even if it won’t happen for a long time. But with a streaming service under its belt, it makes you wonder if watching Disney shows on linear tv is worth these days. I won’t be as critical as I was towards DXD but it’s still going harsh since I was never big on Disney to begin with.


First of all, I think Disney Channel has no purpose as a network anymore because most of the exciting stuff are now on Disney+. The linear network these days has nothing to offer outside of new episodes. There’s a person who runs the Disney Schedules account and you’ll notice how dead their channel are, especially Junior. https://twitter.com/DisneySchedules?s=20 All they do is constantly air the same shows over and over again. I’m pretty sure the target demographics will get sick of seeing nothing but Jessie, BUNK’d, Big City Greens, Puppy Dog Pals, Bluey, and TOTS fast and beg for the network to air other shows (but they can’t because those shows get all the ratings). I talked about how uneven the animation and live action ratio is and while 2018 show promise (with animation returning to Disney Channel full time), it’s too late to go exactly the same it was many years ago when they were perfectly balanced especially with its own streaming service being prominent. If you’re not preschool, BCG and Miraculous Ladybug (somehow that show is getting more screentime than the other Disney cartoons currently running), then animation is useless on Disney Channel. Even Disney and PIXAR movies have stopped airing on this channel for the most part. They are now mostly on Freeform if you can watch on live tv. They have aired a few times in the past year but only for certain events. As for DCOMs reruns, they have ran out of stuff to air. It’s mostly Descendants and Zombies reruns with the occasional standalone movies (that aren’t musicals). Basically there’s no variety anymore. I mean it’s sad since it used to take an advantage from Nick and CN: not having an adult themed block. But even their overnight schedule is a waste. It used to be a 6 hour block for ended shows (never mind the fact that their currently most played show is a show that already ended back in 2015), but now currently running shows get to play during those hours as well. Where’s Disney Replay when you need it? It’s getting so sad that freaking Disney Junior has lost better ratings than the main channel. And yet their scheduling aren’t any better (it’s been crap for years now even though the first few years were diverse). I think it’s time for Disney to shut down their channel in the States, if the time ever comes. Granted it used to be a premium channel so I don’t know how it’s ratings were like during its first 15 years of existence. But if they don’t do anything to impress the viewers the next few years, it’s time to say bye bye bye. Oh and another thing, the promos these days are atrocious. If you thought Nickelodeon being hip and cool was bad, then Disney is even worse at it and that may be the main reason why I’m slowly growing out of it. I’ve given up on the channel a couple times and this will be my next time if they don’t shape up. So long, Disney Channel. You were fun during my childhood but now it’s time to let it go. At least I’ll still have Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network on my side to watch for kids cable networks (and Disney+ for all the stuff related to Disney but that’s streaming). Keep in mind while I’m still looking forward to some of their shows, I’m better off watching them on Disney+ instead so I can have a better binge watching experience. I tried to not make this an essay because I didn’t have three reasons why. It was mostly about the streaming wars being a huge factor of declining interest in Disney networks.

1 comment:

  1. If Disney channels schedule improve when (bunk’d finally ends) will you give it another chance?

    ReplyDelete